Rental Textbooks - Frequently Asked Questions
What is a textbook rental?
Textbook rentals allow students to rent their textbooks from the bookstore (as opposed to buying them) for a specified term. It is one cost-effective option for students who do not anticipate keeping their books.
What does it cost to rent a textbook?
The fee for renting a textbook is calculated differently for each book and depends on several factors. Rental prices for each book will be clearly listed on the website along with the price of the New and Used book for easy comparison.
How do I rent a book?
You can rent a textbook either online or instore.
How to Rent Your Textbooks Online
- Search our Website for the textbook(s) that you need
- If a textbook is available to rent, a rental option will be displayed
- Before you complete your online order, be sure to read the Rental Terms & Conditions, found In-Store or Online
- Add your rental textbook(s) to your cart, follow the shopping cart procedures, and complete your online order — to do so you must provide a valid credit card (with an expiry date beyond the end of the rental period) and your UofT student card
- When you pick up your order you will receive an order print-out — this functions as your receipt and rental contract
How to Rent Your Textbooks In Store
- Locate In-Store the textbook(s) that you need
- If a textbook is available to rent, there will be a green rental tag on the textbook shelf label — you can also inquire at the Text Info Desk if a textbook is available to rent
- Before proceeding to a cash register, be sure to read the Rental Terms & Conditions, found In-Store or Online
- Proceed to a cash register with your rental textbook(s) to complete the rental process — to do so you must provide a valid credit card (with an expiry date beyond the end of the rental period) and your UofT student card
- You will be asked to sign a receipt at the cash register — this receipt functions as your rental contract
When you search for your books online, if the book is eligible for rental, you will see the option from your list of options. In-store, look for the green rental price tag next to your book on the shelf or ask at the Text Info desk.
You can pay by credit card, or with cash or debit provided you have a credit card (with an expiry date beyond the end of the rental period) that can be kept on file to secure the rental.
In order to rent a textbook, you must enter into a legally binding contract. This can only be done by those 18 years old or older. We are happy to rent a textbook to a parent for your use. Please remember - they will be held responsible for what happens to the textbook.
The Rental Period starts when you checkout, in store, with the rental book(s).
The Rental Return Date will be listed on your receipt.
Rental books must be returned according to the Rental Return date that applies to the course for which you rented the book. Books not returned by the specified Rental Return date will be considered late and subject to fees outlined above.
Normal use of the book, including normal highlighting and writing, is permitted. When you pick up your rental book at the bookstore you will be asked to review the condition of the book with the clerk and sign to accept the current condition. The book, even when rented, is the property of the University of Toronto Bookstore and must be returned in University of Toronto Bookstore Standard condition.
Yes, the bookstore can refuse to accept your rental book if it is not returned in University of Toronto Bookstore Standard condition. University of Toronto Bookstore Standard condition will be judged by the bookstore alone, and generally means book spine intact, no excessive damage to cover or contents, all original pages intact, all original components present, and no excessive highlighting, writing or other markings. Normal use highlighting and writing is permitted.
University of Toronto Bookstore Standard condition also requires that Rental Materials must be returned with at least one barcode sticker intact (one on back cover, one inside back cover)
If the bookstore determines your book to be not acceptable for return, then you will be charged for a replacement copy and a processing fee.
- Read your books with clean hands
- Don't eat or drink around your books
- Use bookmarks, do not lie books face down or use dog ears
Yes. The rental fee refund policy is identical to our textbook purchase return policy:
- Refunds are at the sole discretion of the Bookstore
- Textbooks must be in the same condition as when they were purchased. New books must be in mint condition - no bent corners or creases, spine unbroken with no markings at all
- No refunds will be permitted for shrink wrapped items that have been opened
- Original cash receipt must be presented (no exceptions)Returns must be made no later than 14 calendar days from the original purchase except that Textbook rental returns will not be allowed during these periods:
- October 15th to December 22nd
- March 1st to May 7th
- June 15th to 30th
- July 15th to August 20th
No, you must return the rental books in person to the same location where you picked them up.
If you wish, for whatever reason, to return your rental early, there is no refund, partial or whole, if returned later than 14 days from the original purchase.
You will be charged for replacement of the textbook plus a processing fee. The replacement cost and processing fee will be charged to the credit card on file. These fees are in addition to the rental fee.
You will be charged for a replacement along with the processing fee for any book not returned to the bookstore, regardless of the reason. These fees are in addition to the rental fee.
We need to cover the cost of replacing the book so it can be rented or re-used so we will charge you a replacement fee based on the value of the book at the time it was rented plus a processing fee of $10.00 per book. These fees are in addition to the rental fee.
Yes. If you decide you want to keep your rented textbook, simply come back to the store with your receipt any time prior to the return due date, pay the difference between the rental price and the purchase price and keep a copy of your receipt as proof of payment.
As a courtesy, we will send a reminder notice to the email address you provided when you placed your online order and on your rental agreement. However, it is your responsibility to return the book by the due date even if you do not receive this email.
When we set the return date, we are setting it as late as possible to give you as much time as we can. We have to consolidate the books and send them to a 3rd party company as part of the process and have deadlines to adhere to, otherwise we incur penalties. In order to offer the program we need to ensure the deadlines are followed and unfortunately a book returned even a day late will have non-return fees applied to it.
Once we have charged you the non-return fees, the book is yours to keep.