Textbook Rental Agreement
This rental agreement ("Agreement") is a contract between you and University of Toronto Press, Inc., Retail Division, and applies to your rental of textbooks and/or course related materials (the "Rented Materials") from us. This Agreement sets forth your rights and obligations and should be read carefully. In this Agreement, "you" or "your" means any person or entity renting Rented Materials from us ("University of Toronto Press, Inc., Retail Division") using this online rental service (the "Service"). Unless otherwise stated, "U of T Bookstore", the "Company," "we", "our" or "us" will refer collectively to University of Toronto Press, Inc., Retail Division.
The Company may modify this Agreement from time to time and such modification shall be effective upon posting by the Company on the website from which you accessed the Service (the "Website"). You agree to be bound to any changes to this Agreement when you use the Website or the Service after any such modification is posted. It is therefore important that you review this Agreement regularly to ensure you are aware of any changes.
For questions regarding this Agreement please contact your campus bookstore.
Terms and Conditions
- You must be 18 years of age or older to use the Service, have a valid credit card (with an expiry date beyond the end of the rental period), a valid University of Toronto student card, and an email address.
- You are entering into this agreement with University of Toronto Press, Inc. Retail Division.
- When you rent Rented Materials your credit card will be charged when your order is fulfilled or when the transaction is completed in store. In addition, in order to rent Rented Materials, you must have a valid credit card on file with us at all times. If your credit card becomes invalid for any reason it is your responsibility to contact the bookstore and provide the new expiry date to be kept on file.
- In the event your parent is completing the purchase for you with their credit card information, by completing this rental agreement, you are both entering into the contract.
- When you reserve Rented Materials online for in store pickup you must pick them up yourself at the campus bookstore with a valid credit card (with an expiry date beyond the end of the rental period), student ID and photo ID present. When renting in store, you must be present in person with your student ID, photo ID, and credit card.
- Rented Materials you reserved online will be kept for a period of two weeks after the date of the pickup confirmation email. Rented Materials not picked up within the two week period will no longer be considered reserved.
- Rented Materials are the property of the U of T Bookstore and remain so during the rental period.
- Unless you exercise your option for a Rental Buyout (defined below), Rented Materials must be returned to the campus bookstore from which they were originally rented by the rental return date designated by us at the time of rental (the "Rental Return Date") in Bookstore Standard Condition. Bookstore Standard Condition will be determined by us at our sole discretion, but generally means book spine intact, no liquid damage or liquid stains/marks of any kind, no excessive damage to cover or contents, all original pages intact, all original components present, and no excessive highlighting, writing or other markings. Normal use highlighting and writing is permitted.
- University of Toronto Press, Inc. Retail Division is not responsible for reminding you of your Rental Return Date. Any and all notifications are a courtesy. You are responsible for complying with the Rental Return Dates. You agree and acknowledge that a Rental book returned even 1 day after the Rental Return Date is considered to be non-returned and Non-Return Fees will apply.
- Rented Materials not returned by the Rental Return Date, or Rented Materials returned on or before the Rental Return Date not in Bookstore Standard Condition will be subject to Non-Return Fees. Non-Return Fees will be automatically charged to the credit card on file for this Agreement as follows for each item of Rented Material: replacement cost of the book plus a processing fee of $10.00 for each book. In the event that the credit card on file for this Agreement is no longer valid or in the event the purchasing limit on such credit card has been exceeded at the time the Non-Return Fees are to be charged, we will bill you for, and you agree to promptly pay in full, the Non-Return Fees. In the event that you do not promptly pay the Non-Return Fees in full, we reserve the right to place a financial hold on your University Account which may prevent you from registering in classes, obtaining transcripts, your diploma, or have other consequences until you pay the outstanding amount. We also reserve the right to transfer at our discretion any unpaid fees to a 3rd party collection agency, and you agree that we are permitted to share with them any personal information necessary to assist them in obtaining payment from you.
- Non-Return Fees are in addition to the Rental Fee collected at the beginning of the term.
- You are responsible for loss or theft of all Rented Materials.
- On or before the Rental Return Date, you have the option to complete a Rental Buyout of Rented Materials where you can purchase the Rented Materials by paying the retail price of the book less the rental price already paid. In order to exercise your Rental Buyout option, please bring your book and original receipt back to the location where they were rented. Rented Materials brought back after the Rental Return Date are not eligible for the Rental Buyout option and regular fees will apply as if it is a non-returned rental.
- The rental fee refund policy is identical to our textbook purchase return policy:
- Refunds are at the sole discretion of the Bookstore
- Textbooks must be in the same condition as when they were purchased. New books must be in mint condition - no bent corners or creases, spine unbroken with no markings at all
- No refunds will be permitted for shrink wrapped items that have been opened
- Original cash receipt must be presented (no exceptions). Returns must be made no later than 14 calendar days from the original purchase except that Textbook rental returns will not be allowed during these periods:
- October 15th to December 22nd
- March 1st to May 7th
- June 15th to 30th
- July 15th to August 20th